Cloud Migration: Reasons to migrate and tips to convince your clients
Reasons why you should migrate to the cloud
While we may think the majority of the companies have moved to the cloud, the recent Hafnium attack and many others portray a different story. There are many organizations that still function on on-premise servers and haven’t moved to the cloud. This shows that there are still many who are skeptical about Cloud Migration. The question here is, how secure is the cloud? Is cloud actually safe?
Let’s answer this question for you then.
The recent activities are a testament and throw light on how unsafe or vulnerable on-prem servers are. The simple answer to this is, that your data could actually be more secure on the cloud than it is on-prem.
Here are the reasons why Cloud could be more secure
- Multi-Factor Authentication: Added layers of security with features like MFA, where before you sign in from a new device, an OTP or a verification mail is sent to verify your identity and ensure that the access is granted to the right person.
- Safe attachments & Safe Links: Cloud services, scan an attachment or any link that is being sent from another person. If the file is not secure, a message pops up which warns you to not download the files or open the link.
- Encrypted data: Data and files are encrypted hence you don’t have to worry about your files falling into unsafe hands.
- Quicker Operations: Your SMB will be able to coordinate and work on projects at a greater pace.
- Backups have your back: Doesn’t matter if you forgot to save your files, they will be automatically backed up on the cloud. You would never have to worry about losing a file or its content when you are working cloud.
- Seamless Collaborations: A benefit that has come to use during this pandemic. Teammates can work on the same files, make changes, feel more connected, have office meetings online, cloud just makes it more seamless.
- More Storage Space: Microsoft offers its licensed user 1 TB of free storage space on the cloud which would be difficult when it comes to an offline medium.
- Your data at your doorstep: You and your team can simultaneously work on the same file no matter where in the world you are. Even if you don’t have your laptop with you, or it’s damaged or corrupted, the cloud will have stored all your data in a safe place.
Tips to keep your data and systems safe:
- Update Patches regularly, as and when they are released
- Have a good firewall in place- to keep you away from suspicious traffic
- Enable MFA
- Encrypt all your cloud data
Tips on convincing your clients for Cloud Migration
As an MSP, if you want to convince your customers to migrate to the cloud, you must have a fool-proof understanding of the cloud which will help you understand the reason behind your clients’ reluctance, their dismissal and you’ll then have reasons to convince them for the migration.
Once you frankly discuss the concerns your clients have migrating to the cloud, whether it be due to higher costs, data security etc., you’d be able to give them accurate solutions to mitigate these concerns.
To give them something to trust, you can start with small changes, and then gradually aim for a complete migration to the cloud.
Once your clients start using cloud services, there are high chances that they’ll be able to trust the platform better.
Show them the unsafe world and then show them the safe world and how you can help them transition. Highlight the problems they may face when using an offline medium (higher chances of losing a file and never being able to recover it, limited storage, server hack concerns, etc.)
Put forth the benefits of the cloud, (larger storage space, backups and disaster recovery, constant maintenance, fewer chances of server getting hacked etc.)
Although cloud services may seem expensive initially but over time if you consider the operational costs you may incur in an offline medium, the cloud is a good investment. In order to keep up with the pace of this competitive world, cloud migration will be a saviour in the future.
Be honest with the pros and cons and leave the decision up to your client.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is cloud migration?
It is the process of transferring or migrating any data, databases, apps, servers, virtual desktops or any other such business element to the cloud. It could be a cloud to cloud migration or an on-premises to cloud migration depending on the need.
What are the phases of cloud migration?
Discover, Plan, Migrate, Post Migration Support
How do you do cloud migration?
Expanding on the answer above would give a clear idea of how one can perform cloud migration:
- Discover: A phase where after taking the initial call, there’s a discovery session on what has to be migrated, the amount of data that has to be migrated
- Plan: Which migration method will be used, what will be migrated first and the stages in which it’ll be divided
- Migrate: As decided, the migration process is kickstarted and is completed in the stipulated amount of time
- Post-migration Support: Once everything has been migrated, one usually gives post-migration support for a small period of time to see if everything is running smooth and if any issues arise then remediation can be done immediately
What is 7 R’s cloud migration planning/strategies?
The 7 R’s are the migration strategies that have been renamed by AWS. They are –
- Re-host: The Lift-and-Shift Model, which is, moving from a dedicated platform to a shared one without any modifications. It is the most common migration method.
- Re-platform: Lift and Reshape. To optimize what is migrated to make it cloud-compatible
- Re-factor: Decouple and Rewrite. Migrate and Modify the architecture
- Re-purchase: Shop and Drop. Switch to another app/product
- Relocate: A hypervisor level lift and shift
- Retain: Keep the source environment as-it-is
- Retire: De-commission and remove the old on-prem server
What is the most common cloud migration model?
The most common cloud migration model is “Lift-and-Shift”.
Migrating to the cloud has immense benefits; yes, cloud services may seem expensive but curated packages and the pay-as-you-go pricing, can help cut costs. Packages start from basic all the way to premium, so your client can choose the one that is the most suitable for them. There are different cloud types and models available. Present them the package that you think would be appropriate for their business and then they will be more likely to purchase.
Migration is an extensive, exhaustive process. Migrating to the cloud while taking care of the daily tasks and simultaneously growing your business can seem daunting, but it is important.
Infrassist utilizes industry-recognized best practices to design, build, deploy, and drive the right cloud solution that aligns with your clients’ needs. We will migrate your data from one cloud environment to another and take the burden off of your IT team.
We keep uploading new blogs quite frequently on our website- keep an eye out for those.
Lastly, if you need help with more such IT Solutions, feel free to reach out to us. We’ll be happy to resolve your queries.