Install Line-of-Business (LOB) Apps via Intune
Microsoft Intune (Endpoint Manager) helps create and deploy app protection policies for devices you want to manage. The endpoint manager helps manage apps on users’ personal devices. You can decide on which apps you want to protect, the level of protection needed, and how to find enterprise data on the network.
This article shows how to install Line of Business (LOB) Apps (ATERA in this blog post) using Microsoft Intune. This would lead to the installation being silently run in the background on all or selective users or devices simulataneously. The benefit is that it would not impact or interrupt the end users’ work (except when it is a Linux System, as a prompt would be sent to proceed with the installation).
Steps to install LOB Apps via Intune:
Create a policy in Microsoft Intune and then push that policy forward-
- Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center
- Log into the Tenant Portal and go to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager Admin center.
- Then, Select Mobile Apps > Apps > click on Add App
- Under “Add App”, Select App Type > Other > Line-of-Business app
- In the first tab of “App Information”, go to “Select File”.
- In this, you need to select your .msi file. You’ll have to download Atera Agent into .msi format. In the App package file, browse and add your .msi file
- Once you do this, you’ll be able to see that Intune automatically extracts details from your .msi file. Details like the Name of the App, Platform, The App Version, The File Size, etc. would be displayed. Click on OK.
- In the App Information, fill in the rest of the required details. Provide the Name which indicates the Process and the publisher name in their respective text boxes.
- Once you are done with filling in the mandatory details, click on the Next button.
- In the second tab of “Assignments”, you’ll see 3 subsections:
Under which you have 3 options like Add Group, Add all Users, Add all Devices. You can push the app to get installed in A Group, All Users or All Devices.
Add Group- Let’s you install the apps in a particular Group that you have created
All Users-Irrespective of the device the user is using, the apps would get installed in each users’ device.
All Devices- The apps would get installed in All the devices that fall under the company’s network.
Available for enrolled devices section:
Apps are displayed in the Company portal app and website for users to optionally install.
This option uninstalls the app from the selected Groups/User/Device.
Once you configure as per your requirement click on the Next button.
The third tab is “Review + Create”,
You can Review the configuration that you did and edit if changes are needed and then click on Create button.
Once the steps are completed, the Atera agent will be installed in all the selected users’ machines via Intune. For any machines that are offline, the installation will commence once they are back online.
Keep an eye on our blogs section for more such technical solutions related to RMMs or Microsoft Services.